Monday, August 30, 2021

Lizards and Land



I love reptiles. Particularly lizards. I once caught a darling lizard up in Big Bear and brought it home. I was about 6 years old and wanted to keep as her/him as my pet. As a week passed my mom thought Lizzy (the named I gave her or him) belonged outside somewhere in the wild. Back then, there was a lot of space of nothing but dirt bushes and spare free land. Tumble weeds used to roll down our street many windy days. I loved it. Sometimes I would catch one on an August or September afternoon and turn it into an early Christmas tree the hang bright shiny found objects onto it. Then, later, let it blow on down the road. Tumbling a more sparkling than before I caught it.

Many stray dogs, and cats passed through as well. I would feed them when then stopped by. But every morning when I went to greet my new pet, they were gone. A vagrant feral animal could always get a healthy warm meal from my forts porch.

So, we let Lizzy lose in a field in Lomita near a high school. I was sad and happy at the same time. 

Today I'm mostly sad about the over development of our now called city. I think it was a town back in the early 60s. We used to have wild life like foxes, lizards, huge dragonflies, wild dogs and cats, and frogs, big frogs hopping all over the pace. My mom once saw a nice sized 6 inch or so frog swimming toward her in our swimming pool one afternoon in the late 60s. Unfortunately, we would often find frog pancakes on the street. At first I would just observe the flatten creature and go on my way yet as time went on and I grew a few months older and more compassionate I felt the responsibility to scoop the poor amphibian from the road and toss it in our garage can.

Over development is by far, and I mean, way far too over developed. For what? More money in the developers bank accounts? There is also too much over breeding. Seriously. Look at us. Too much traffic. Too many people. Nowhere to park. Frustration. Mass shootings. Homeless. Insanity. Control people! Control yourselves! I knew this as a child. That's why I NEVER envisioned having a child. In this world? So far, I think I was right. Don't even get get started on lizards!


No comments:

Post a Comment